- Publish Date: 12-04-2019 / 2:02 PM
- Category : Skin Care
Homemade soda crackers – how to make soda crackers: As winter weather rolls in, one of the most comforting things you can do around this time of the year is sip on a hearty soup. Specifically, hearty soup with crackers crumbled on top for some extra crunch.
And no other cracker goes better with warm soup than saltines or soda crackers—hearty crackers made from flour, baking soda, and salt. I am talking about simple and tasty crackers that are pretty easy to bake right in your kitchen; plus, the homemade version tastes much better than store-bought ones.
Are you tempted to give it a try? Here is how to make soda crackers—absolute homemade soda crackers.
Soda Crackers recipe and steps
Prepare the following ingredients:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- salt crystals for sprinkling
- Egg wash made from an egg yolk beaten
- 1 tablespoon of water, herbs, and, or finely grated cheese (optional).
Your soda crackers recipe should be mixed to be soft, not hard. So, remember to use all-purpose flour, not bread flour, to get the desired crispness. Bread flour is more elastic, which will result in homemade soda crackers that are tougher and harder.
Now, follow this step-by-step tutorial on how to make soda crackers that are fresh and tasty.
- Mix the flour and baking powder. If you choose to add herbs or cheese, add those in as well.
- Cut the butter into the dry mixture until it forms coarse crumbs.
- Add the milk and knead. Form the dough into a ball.
- Divide the dough into four parts. Roll each piece separately on a floured surface so you can cut them into your desired size. The thinner you roll them out, the crispier the crackers will be when baked. If you are having trouble making them lie flat, you can also try rolling them out between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Using a pizza wheel, cut each sheet into evenly sized squares. Cutting them into even pieces ensures that they will cook at the same time. Discard the dough scraps left after cutting; they will be challenging if you reroll and cut them.
- Transfer each piece to an ungreased cookie sheet. The dough has enough butter to prevent it from sticking as it bakes. Leave a little room in between each cracker.
- Prick with a fork to create holes. This will keep the dough from bubbling as it bakes so that it will crisp up. Lightly brush the tops with your egg wash and sprinkle with salt. You can also choose to sprinkle a bit of white pepper to give it a little kick.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. They will start to turn golden brown at the 10-minute mark, so keep a close eye on the oven.
- When your crackers are golden brown on the edges, they are done. Take them out of the oven immediately; they will crisp as they cool.
Final thoughts on how to make soda cracker, absolute homemade soda crackers
As you can see, learning how to make soda crackers at home takes only a few essential ingredients and no special equipment. Just remember to store them right away in an airtight container because these homemade soda crackers can get softer more quickly than their commercial counterparts.
This is because this soda crackers recipe made from home does not use any preservatives. If you’re in the mood for something a bit fancier, this basic soda crackers recipe can be easily tweaked by adding spices or herbs or even gourmet ingredients like truffle dust.
These crackers can keep for a long time if they are kept in an airtight jar. You might find it helpful to separate them into smaller portions in Ziplock bags to make them last longer. If they do turn a bit soft, you can crisp them up again by throwing them in a preheated oven for a few minutes.
I hope this soda crackers recipe will be your guide moving forward in creating your own tasty and delicious homemade soda crackers—especially when the cold weather rolls in. Thank you for reading, and best of luck to you! And those are your tips on how to make soda crackers.