- Publish Date: 09-04-2019 / 3:07 AM
- Category : Skin Care
Bad armpit odor – home remedies for underarm odor: Sweating is one way the body regulates temperature. Sweating through your underarms is a sign that your excretory system is healthy and can respond to a rise in external or internal temperature.
But while sweating is normal, sweat stains soaking through your shirt can leave you uncomfortable and embarrassed. Worse, underarm sweat often reacts with the natural bacteria found on the skin, creating an unpleasant odor—or bad armpit odor.
In this article, we will talk about how to get rid of armpit odor, specifically about safe home remedies for underarm odor.
While many antiperspirants and deodorants are sold in the market, some people feel the need to use a natural alternative to control underarm sweating. Commercial antiperspirants typically contain ingredients like alcohol, which is harsh on the skin, causing darkening and irritation.
According to the Mayo Clinic, most of these products contain aluminum, which has been associated with an increased risk for Alzheimer’s disease. Aluminum content in underarm hygiene products is especially suspect because this part of the body is where many lymph nodes are located. Because of all that, we need safe home remedies for armpit odor.
How to get rid of armpit odor with baking soda
Baking soda is an excellent alternative for commercial antiperspirants. Chemically known as sodium bicarbonate, or sodium hydrogen carbonate, this fine white powder absorbs moisture and odors quite effectively. It is also alkaline or basic, which neutralizes the acidity of sweat and discourages the growth of bacteria on the skin.
Baking soda also does not stain clothes, so you can use it without fear of ruining your favorite shirts. Here is one of the best home remedies for underarm odor using baking soda.
Benefits of using baking soda for bad armpit odor treatment
Baking soda’s antibacterial properties can also counteract body odor, which is caused by microbes feeding on sweat. If you have noticed a funky odor in your underarm area, a baking soda mask is a perfect solution.
Steps and procedures
Take two tablespoons of baking soda and add enough water to make a thick paste. Mix well to remove lumps as best as you can.
- Apply the paste to clean and dry underarms. You might find it easier to use a spa brush or an old makeup brush to get even coverage all over. Let the paste stay on the skin for 15 to 25 minutes. Keep your arms up while the paste dries so that your whole underarm area always remains in contact with the paste.
- After 15 to 25 minutes, rinse the skin thoroughly and pat dry. Moisturize the skin with a water-based moisturizer like aloe Vera gel to soothe the armpits from baking soda’s drying effect. Choose a moisturizer that has zero or low alcohol content.
- This remedy works best when your underarms are as hair-free as possible because then the baking soda can get in contact with the sweat glands. Underarm hair also traps moisture and odor, so wax or shave if you must.
- Apply the mask daily for the first week or until body odor is no longer a problem. Most people see a difference after just one to three mask applications, but your mileage may vary.
- If you only sweat minimally through your underarms, then it may be enough to use baking soda as a dusting powder in your armpits after every shower. Or as a touch-up during the day. Mix equal parts of baking soda and cornstarch powder and add a drop of two of lavender essential oil.
- Transfer to an airtight container and dust generously under your armpits after you have thoroughly patted the area dry post-shower. Most people can use baking soda on its own with no problems, but cornstarch powder can help if your underarm skin is especially sensitive. Reapply as needed.
A final thought on home remedies for underarm odor
Bad armpit odor can be very embarrassing, and for those who have sensitive skin and could not tolerate chemical-laden commercial deodorant, baking soda may be the answer. For how to get rid of armpit odor safely and efficiently, try the baking soda steps and procedures above.
Thank you for reading, and best of luck to you! And those are our tips for home remedies for underarm odor. Enjoy the baking soda home remedies for the underarm odor that anybody can safely and efficiently prepare and use at home.