- Publish Date: 12-04-2019 / 1:44 PM
- Category : Skin Care
Hacks to remove stretch marks.
Pregnancy, weight gain, or even just a growth spurt –
all of these can cause unsightly stretch marks to appear on the skin. According
to the researchers at the Mayo Clinic, the only sure-fire way to remove stretch
marks is skin resurfacing – and even that does not have a 100% success rate,
especially if the stretch marks are already old. Fortunately, while stretch
marks pretty much stay put once they are there, there are ways to minimize
their appearance. Here are 5 life hacks to remove stretch marks:
- Retinol creams. If you catch stretch marks early enough, it’s entirely possible to diminish them significantly using prescription-strength retinol cream. Researchers at the American Academy of Dermatology found that early stage stretch marks showed marked improvement after six months of topical treatment with a retinol cream.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C serums applied to stretch marks twice a day can help fade stretch marks by boosting the skin’s ability to produce collagen, encouraging the skin to grow newer and healthier skin cells over the damaged area.
- Vitamin E. It’s no secret that vitamin E can help the skin appear more radiant by plumping it up and nourishing it from within. Vitamin E, when applied directly to the skin, can also help with stretch marks by helping it retain moisture and improving elasticity. This hack is also inexpensive: just pop open one of those generic brand vitamin E capsules and slather away.
- Sugar Scrub. One of the natural life hacks to remove stretch marks is sugar scrub. If you’re looking for natural methods to lighten stretch marks, then a sugar scrub is right up your alley. This DIY works on removing stretch marks by inducing microdermabrasion. Coconut oil has also been recognized by the National Institutes of Health for its skin healing properties. To do a sugar scrub, mix one cup of brown sugar with ¼ cup of coconut oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. You should have a mixture that’s vaguely the consistency of wet beach sand (add more sugar if needed). Scrub gently on the areas of your body that are covered with stretch marks. This hack is best done several times a week, right before your shower. You’ll love how soft and smooth your skin will feel right afterward.
- Laser treatments. The gold standard for stretch mark removal is laser therapy. Clinical studies have repeatedly shown that laser therapy such as pulsed dye lasers or short pulsed Co2 can dramatically minimize the appearance of newer stretch marks in just one session, while older stretch marks may need two to three sessions to attain similar results. While cost is one downside to laser therapy, one huge advantage is that there is no downtime required. If your stretch marks are seriously bothering you, this might be a worthy investment on your part.
Aside from these tips, it’s also a good idea to protect further damage to the skin by applying sunscreen daily or wearing UV-protective clothing. Exposure to the sun can further weaken the skin’s structure, making it that much harder for your skin to recover and regenerate.
And of course, while these 5 life hacks to remove stretch marks can help improve the appearance of your stretch marks, nothing beats prevention, of course. Stretch marks happen when skin gets stretched too quickly, so anything that you can do to improve the elasticity of your skin will go a long way towards stopping these nasty ridges from occurring in the first place. Drinking lots of water, moisturizing the skin daily and eating food that is rich in collagen, vitamin C, and vitamin E are good ways to start.