Good reasons why you should do plank daily – 6 benefits of planks exercise. Planking is one of the most popular exercises that can be performed almost anywhere and without any equipment. Though it looks pretty simple, doing plank to achieve the maximum results is not that easy.
Plank exercise can improve your fitness level as it can work out several muscle groups at once. Below are good reasons why you should do plank daily. Read now to learn 6 benefits of plank exercise that will keep you doing planks regularly.
- 1. Planking can enhance your core strength. One of the main benefits of performing planks is that they can improve your core strength. This involves the muscles and joints that connect your upper and lower body. When you bend, turn, or lift things, you are engaging the core; hence, it is just important to work out your core muscle groups.
- Once you do this regularly, you will become stronger and make the completion of everyday tasks much easier. Not to mention other benefits of blanks that we are about to discuss.
- 2. Planking can help you have a flat stomach. Planking is more effective in making your stomach flat and toned compared to crunches. In fact, an editorial by the Navy Times state that crunches can even lead to back injuries. Furthermore, according to the Journal of Strength and Conditioning, planking exercises engage 100% of your abdominal muscles, while crunches only work out around 64% of stomach muscles. This indeed is one of the major benefits of planks for weight loss.
- 3. Planking can make your back stronger. The problem with other core strength workouts, such as crunches and sit-ups, is that they can injure your back. On the other hand, planking can strengthen your back muscles, particularly the upper back.
- Moreover, because planking involves maintaining a neutral spine as opposed to constant flexing, your spinal column does experience constant strain. With proper technique, and with time, those issues can be avoided.
- 4. Planking can enhance your posture and balance. When you regularly perform planks, you will have better posture and balance. This also means that you will be able to stand and sit straighter without difficulty. Keep in mind that your core muscle group has a significant effect on the other muscles of your body, and can even prevent or alleviate postural problems.
- 5. Planking can improve your flexibility. Another one of the major benefits of planks exercise is that planks can also expand and stretch the muscles around your shoulders, hamstrings, collarbone, feet, and toes; this form of exercise can offset the natural loss of muscle elasticity, which happens when you get older.
- 6. Planking can boost your metabolism and lead you to burn fat more effectively. Although planking doesn’t necessarily beat cardio exercises regarding burning fat, this form of strength training is also effective in toning down your stomach. Plus, it can help you burn excess fat and can increase the rate of your metabolism even after you’re done with the workout.
- According to studies, for every pound of muscle that you achieve, you will be able to burn approximately 50 calories more each day. Why, because a plank hold engages several muscles in your body at once.
- Final Thoughts
We hope that our 6 Benefits of planks exercises listed in this article convinced you enough to make planks a part of your exercise regimen. In the fitness world, bodyweight exercises are increasingly becoming widely accepted because of the practicality of using your body weight to get fit.
- Truly, planking is one of the bodyweight exercises that won’t go out of fashion. Aside from not requiring any equipment and a significant amount of time to perform, the many forms of planking exercises can also help you achieve significant results when done right.
This is another way of saying that the benefits of planks for weight loss, flexibility, stronger back, posture, and balance cannot be overstated. In other words, those are good reasons why you should do plank daily