- Publish Date: 10-11-2017 / 12:32 PM
- Category : Super Foods
When people hear vinegar, what first comes to their mind is that it is a vital ingredient for your dips, dressings, and marinades. Sure, this is an indispensable condiment in your kitchen as it can add flavor to your dishes. However, what many people don’t know are all other things you can do with vinegar that are more than just tangy substance we know vinegar to be.
Below are 4 cool things you can do with vinegar you probably didn’t know you could do.
- 1. Wash fruits and vegetables to eliminate bacteria, pesticide residue, and other unwanted substances. Vinegar can remove residue from pesticides by over 70%! Even if you buy fruits and vegetables that are organic, it is still a good idea to clean it with the solution because some organic farms are still within the area where crop dusters had been. On the other hand, even if they are guaranteed to be free from pesticides, they may also get exposed to mold during the shipping process.
Here’s how: Dilute 1 part white vinegar with 3-part water (1:3 ratio). After washing or spraying vegetables with the white vinegar- water solution, rinse thoroughly.
- 2. Get rid of foul odors in your mugs, trash cans, and other containers. It may seem counterintuitive because of the vinegar’s smell, but this can work. You can remove stale odors by dampening a paper towel with vinegar, placing it inside the container that needs deodorizing and then leaves overnight to work its magic. The next day, remove the paper towel, clean it with dishwashing soap, rinse thoroughly, then let it dry. Voila! The foul smell is gone!
- 3. Remove mineral and oil deposits in your coffee maker. Coffee stains HATE vinegar. If you want to eliminate deposits of coffee oils and minerals that accumulate in your coffeemaker after weeks or months of using it, vinegar can be an efficient and natural solution.
To do this, just combine equal amounts of white vinegar and water and use it to fill up the reservoir of your coffee maker. Simply let it go through the brewing process, and then leave it alone for about 10 minutes. Next, repeat the process with another fresh batch of your white vinegar- water solution. Once the process is complete, you may now rinse your coffeemaker with water. After cleaning, run another cycle but this time with water only. It is recommended to perform this process at least once a month.
- 4. Remove clogs from drains. Does it take too long for the water in your sink to drain? If yes, this may mean that it is clogged. An effective natural remedy to unclog it is by combining a cup of vinegar and a cup of hot water, pouring a half cup of baking soda into the clogged drain first, and then pouring the vinegar hot water solution right after. Don’t panic if you see it fizzing—it is just the vinegar solution reacting with the baking soda. Once the chemical reaction has subsided, your sink should be working better.
Still, think that vinegar is just a spices for your dishes? Now you know at least other 4 cool things you can do with vinegar that has nothing to do with dishes and menus. Now that you are more enlightened about the power and benefits of vinegar, and all the things you can do with vinegar, we suggest that you share with your friends too.